Thursday, September 20, 2012

‘I’ as the transcendental subject of thoughts = X (Summary of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason #3)


3 ‘I’ as the transcendental subject of thoughts = X

3.1 Pure Apperception (or self-conscious-perception)

The sense of self, ‘I’, seems to be most certain.  In the western modern orthodoxy, ‘I’ is the basis of cognition and agency (although, as a native speaker of Japanese which does not obligate the use of ‘I’, such certainty was not so much felt before I began to use English as a second language in my college days).  Kant argues that the sense of ‘I’ is something that accompanies with thought, something that is presumed to be exist prior to any experience (a priori), but not a substance that exists on its own.  ‘I’ is found (or demanded) whenever a bunch of intuitions are present.  The logic here seems circular, for it is: ‘I’ must exist because there is ‘my’ perception and thought, and ‘my’ perception and thought are only possible because ‘I’ exist.

It must be possible for the I think to accompany all my representations: for otherwise something would be represented within me that could not be thought at all, in other words, the representation would either be impossible, or at least would be nothing to me.  That representation which can be given prior to all thought is called intuition, and all the manifold of intuition has, therefore, a necessary relation to the I think in the same subject in which this manifold of intuition is found. (124)

Das: Ich denke, muß alle meine Vorstellungen begleiten können; denn sonst würde etwas in mir vorgestellt werden, was garnicht gedacht werden könnte, welches ebensoviel heißt, als die Vorstellung würde entweder unmöglich, oder wenigstens für mich nichts sein.  Diejenige Vorstellung, die vor allem Denken gegeben sein kann, heißt Anschauung. Also hat alles Mannigfaltige der Anschauung eine notwendige Beziehung auf das: Ich denke, in demselben Subjekt, darin dieses Mannigfaltige angetroffen wird.  (B131)

Although ‘I’ is something that accompanies with perception (Intuition, in Kantian terminology), ‘I’ is not given from the outside world but emerges spontaneously.  Kant calls what produces the sense of ‘I’ Pure Apperception (reine Apperzeption).  (I believe Apperzeption may better be translated as “self-conscious-perception”.  Ordinary apperceptions of things are “self-conscious-perception of things”, i.e., perception of things with the sense that it is ‘I’ that perceives them.  Pure apperception (reine Apperzeption) is the sheer sense of ‘I’ that must exist whenever any perception is experienced. 

This representation (the I think ), however, is an act of spontaneity, that is, it cannot be considered as belonging to sensibility.  I call it pure apperception, in order to distinguish it from empirical apperception, or also original apperception, because it is that self-consciousness which, by producing the representation, I think (which must be capable of accompanying all other representations, and which is one and the same in all consciousness), cannot itself be accompanied by any further representations.  (124-125)

Diese Vorstellung aber ist ein Aktus der Spontaneität, d.i. sie kann nicht als zur Sinnlichkeit gehörig angesehen werden. Ich nenne sie die reine Apperzeption, um sie von der empirischen zu unterscheiden, oder auch die ursprüngliche Apperzeption, weil sie dasjenige Selbstbewußtsein ist, was, indem es die Vorstellung Ich denke hervorbringt, die alle anderen muß begleiten können, und in allem Bewußtsein ein und dasselbe ist, von keiner weiter begleitet werden kann.  (B132)

This ‘I’ known to me, hence my knowledge, by pure Apperception (self-conscious-perception), does not require any experience and therefore is transcendental knowledge.  (NB. ‘Knowledge’ here is used as a translation word for “Erkenntnis”).  ‘I’, the transcendental unity of self-consciousness, seems to exist quite whenever perception or thought is experienced in whatever ways possible.

I also call the unity of apperception the transcendental unity of self-consciousness, in order to indicate that a priori knowledge can be obtained from it. For the manifold representations given in an intuition would not one and all be my representations, if they did not all belong to one self-consciousness.  What I mean is that, as my representations (even though I am not conscious of them as that), they must conform to the condition under which alone they can stand together in one universal self-consciousness, because otherwise they would not one and all belong to me.  (125)

Ich nenne auch die Einheit derselben die transzendentale Einheit des Selbstbewußtseins, um die Möglichkeit der Erkenntnis a priori aus ihr zu bezeichnen. Denn die mannigfaltigen Vorstellungen, die in einer gewissen Anschauung gegeben werden, würden nicht insgesamt meine Vorstellungen sein, wenn sie nicht insgesamt zu einem Selbstbewußtsein gehörten, d.i. als meine Vorstellungen (ob ich mich ihrer gleich nicht als solcher bewußt bin) müssen sie doch der Bedingung notwendig gemäß sein, unter der sie allein in einem allgemeinen Selbstbewußtsein zusammenstehen können, weil sie sonst nicht durchgängig mir angehören würden.  (B132)

Intuitions are given in Sensibility and these Intuitions are combined and united in Concepts in Understanding.  ‘I’ is required as the center of combination and unity.

The supreme principle of the possibility of all intuition in relation to sensibility was, according to the Transcendental Aesthetic, that all the manifold in intuitions is subject to the formal conditions of space and time.  The supreme principle of the same possibility in relation to the understanding is that all the manifold in intuition is subject to the conditions of the original synthetic unity of apperception.  All the manifold representations of intuition, as far as they are given to us, are subject to the first principle; as far as they must admit of being combined in one consciousness, to the second.  For without this combination nothing can be thought or known through these representations, because the given representations would not have in common the act of apperception, I think, and thus could not be comprehended in one self-consciousness.  (129-130)

Der oberste Grundsatz der Möglichkeit aller Anschauung in Beziehung auf die Sinnlichkeit war laut der transz. Ästhetik: daß alles Mannigfaltige derselben unter den formalen Bedingungen des Raumes und der Zeit stehen. Der oberste Grundsatz eben derselben in Beziehung auf den Verstand ist: daß alles Mannigfaltige der Anschauung unter Bedingungen der ursprünglich-synthetischen Einheit der Apperzeption stehe*. Unter dem ersteren stehen alle mannigfaltigen Vorstellungen der Anschauung, sofern sie uns gegeben werden, unter dem zweiten sofern sie in einem Bewußtsein müssen verbunden werden können; denn ohne das kann nichts dadurch gedacht oder erkannt werden, weil die gegebenen Vorstellungen den Aktus der Apperzeption, Ich denke, nicht gemein haben, und dadurch nicht in einem Selbstbewußtsein zusammengefaßt sein würden.  (B136-137)

At this center of perception as Apperception, Intuitions are united and synthesized to become my knowledge.  In this sense, if there is to be pure knowledge, it must be Apperception itself that is known to me whatever the content of knowledge may be.

The first pure knowledge of the understanding, therefore, on which all the rest of its use is founded, and which at the same time is entirely independent of all conditions of sensible intuition, is this very original synthetic unity of apperception.  (131).

Das erste reine Verstandeserkenntnis also, worauf sein ganzer übriger Gebrauch sich gründet, welches auch zugleich von allen Bedingungen der sinnlichen Anschauung ganz unabhängig ist, ist nun der Grundsatz der ursprünglichen synthetischen Einheit der Apperzeption.  (B137-138)

However, in this first pure knowledge, pure Apperception, I do not know WHAT I am or HOW I am.  I only know THAT I am, and as this knowledge is not given from the outside world, this sense of That I am is thought in Understanding.

In the transcendental synthesis of the manifold of representations in general, on the contrary, and therefore in the synthetic original unity of apperception, I am not conscious of myself as I appear to myself, nor as I am in myself, but conscious only that I am.  This representation is an act of thought, not of intuition.  (156)

Dagegen bin ich mir meiner selbst in der transzendentalen Synthesis des Mannigfaltigen der Vorstellungen überhaupt, mithin in der synthetischen ursprünglichen Einheit der Apperzeption, bewußt, nicht wie ich mir erscheine, noch wie ich an mir selbst bin, sondern nur daß ich bin. Diese Vorstellung ist ein Denken, nicht ein Anschauen.  (B157)

However, just like some other Concepts in Understanding, this concept of ‘I’ may turn into an Idea of Reason, and it is given features that are not in the empirical world.  Kant believes that the existence of ‘I’ as substance and the notion of ‘I’ as agent are such features, i.e., Transcendental Concepts, or possibly Transcendental Illusions.

For this inner perception is nothing more than the mere apperception, I think, which makes even all transcendental concepts possible, because in them we really say: I think substance, I think cause, etc.  (317)

Denn diese innere Wahrnehmung ist nichts weiter, als die bloße Apperzeption: Ich denke; welche sogar alle transzendentalen Begriffe möglich macht, in welchen es heißt: Ich denke die Substanz, die Ursache usw.  (B401)

If I can afford it, I should probably quote arguments of neuroscience of self-consciousness.  Neuroscience in general are reveling that ‘I’ is not located in a particular spot of the brain and that the agent of my action is not ‘I’ (conscious self) but nonconscious mind/body of mine.  Yet, as I do not have enough time to cite specific arguments and empirical evidence for them, please allow me to continue to summarize Kant.


3.2 Transcendental Subject of Thought = X

Before the sense of ‘I’ is turned into a transcendental concept or illusion, ‘I’ in my perception and thought is only something that accompanies them.  It may not even a concept yet, but only consciousness or thought that accompanies the content of my perception and thought.  The consciousness or thought of ‘I’ is the medium on which perception and thought are experienced.  For its indeterminate nature, it may probably be called Transcendental Subject of Thought = X.

I, of which we cannot even say that it is a concept, but only that it is a mere consciousness that accompanies all concepts.  Through this I, or he, or it (the thing), which thinks, nothing is represented beyond a transcendental subject of thoughts = X.  This subject is known only through the thoughts that are its predicates, and apart from them we can never have the slightest concepts of it; therefore we revolve around it in a perpetual circle, since before we can form any judgement about it we must already use its representation.  And this inconvenience is really inevitable, because consciousness in itself is not so much a representation distinguishing a particular object, but really a form of representation in general, insofar as this representation is to be called knowledge; of such representation alone can I say that I think something through it.  (319)

Ich; von der man nicht einmal sagen kann, daß sie ein Begriff sei, sondern ein bloßes Bewußtsein, das alle Begriffe begleitet. Durch dieses Ich, oder Er, oder Es (das Ding), welches denkt, wird nun nichts weiter, als ein transzendentales Subjekt der Gedanken vorgestellt = x, welches nur durch die Gedanken, die seine Prädikate sind, erkannt wird, und wovon wir, abgesondert, niemals den mindesten Begriff haben können; um welches wir uns daher in einem beständigen Zirkel herumdrehen, indem wir uns seiner Vorstellung jederzeit schon bedienen müssen, um irgend etwas von ihm zu urteilen; eine Unbequemlichkeit, die davon nicht zu trennen ist, weil das Bewußtsein an sich nicht sowohl eine Vorstellung ist, die ein besonderes Objekt unterscheidet, sondern eine Form derselben überhaupt, sofern sie Erkenntnis genannt werden soll; denn von der allein kann ich sagen, daß ich dadurch irgend etwas denke.  (B404)

‘I’ is only a transcendental idea (sometimes even illusion), and it does not correspond to any object in the empirical world.  ‘I’ cannot be known empirically.

The unity of consciousness, on which the categories are founded, is mistaken for an intuition of the subject as object, and the category of substance is applied to it.  But this unity is only the unity in thought, by which alone no object is given, and to which, therefore, the category of substance, which always presupposes a given intuition, cannot be applied.  And therefore the subject cannot be known at all.  (355)

Die Einheit des Bewußtseins, welche den Kategorien zum Grunde liegt, wird hier für Anschauung des Subjekts als Objekts genommen, und darauf die Kategorie der Substanz angewandt. Sie ist aber nur die Einheit im Denken, wodurch allein kein Objekt gegeben wird, worauf also die Kategorie der Substanz, als die jederzeit gegebene Anschauung voraussetzt, nicht angewandt, mithin dieses Subjekt gar nicht erkannt werden kann. (B422)

Although ‘I’ as a Transcendental Idea in Reason has no object in the empirical world, ‘I’ as a Concept in Understanding, connected to the empirical world through Intuitions in Sensibility designates for it one pure concept (‘notion) and one object: soul and body.

I, as thinking, am an object of inner sense, and am called soul; that which is an object of the outer senses is called body.  (316)

Ich, als denkend, bin ein Gegenstand des inneren Sinnes, und heiße Seele. Dasjenige, was ein Gegenstand äußerer Sinne ist, heißt Körper.  (B400)

Soul is much more mysterious than body.  Because it is a pure concept, it does not have empirical content.  And yet, Reason explores this concept and gives it transcendental features such as a simple substance, unchangeable identity, and the fundamental power (Grundkraft) for everything.  What happens in the empirical world of Appearance is now regarded as different from what happens within soul.

Reason, therefore, instead of taking from experience this concept (of what the soul is in reality), which would not leads us very far, prefers the concept of the empirical unity of all thought; and by thinking this unity as unconditioned and original, reason changes this concept into a concept of reason (idea) of a simple substance - a substance which is in itself unchangeable (personally identical), and stands in communication with other actual things outside it; in a word, into a concept of reason of a simple self-subsistent intelligence.  In doing this, reason has before its eyes only principles of systematic unity for the explanation of appearances of the soul.  Through these principles, all determinations may be regarded as exisiting in one subject, all powers, as much as possible, as derived from one fundamental power, and all changes as belonging to the states of one and the same permanent being, while all appearances in space are represented as totally different from the actions of thought.  (557)

Statt des Erfahrungsbegriffs also (von dem, was die Seele wirklich ist), der uns nicht weit führen kann, nimmt die Vernunft den Begriff der empirischen Einheit alles Denkens, und macht dadurch, daß sie diese Einheit unbedingt und ursprünglich denkt, aus demselben einen Vernunftbegriff (Idee) von einer einfachen Substanz, die an sich selbst unwandelbar (persönlich identisch), mit anderen wirklichen Dingen außer ihr in Gemeinschaft stehe; mit einem Worte: von einer einfachen selbständigen Intelligenz. Hierbei aber hat sie nichts anderes vor Augen, als Prinzipien der systematischen Einheit in Erklärung der Erscheinungen der Seele, nämlich: alle Bestimmungen, als in einem einigen Subjekte, alle Kräfte, so viel möglich, als abgeleitet von einer einigen Grundkraft, allen Wechsel, als gehörig zu den Zuständen eines und desselben beharrlichen Wesens zu betrachten, und alle Erscheinungen im Raume, als von den Handlungen des Denkens ganz unterschieden vorzustellen.  (B710)

Below is a summary figure about ‘I’.









No comments: